Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bye Mum and Dad Wednesday

My brother and I just dropped mum and dad off at the airport for their five week trip through Indonesia. I'm really happy for them and hope they have an amazing holiday, but I'm sad too, as it's the last time I'll see them for a while. I'm trying hard not to think about it too much. It's strange because what I'll miss most is just being able to talk to them, but I'll certainly be able to do that whilst in Korea. It's just not the same though. I'm trying to be happy for my last few days with Brook. I feel a little guilty too - like I've got this amazing holiday coming up, with a year spent working abroad, an opportunity that I am so lucky to have, I shouldn't waste any time feeling sad. So I'll try not to!

I spent most of yesterday packing and unpacking, and re-packing my bags, changing bags, changing back, and worrying about weight allowances. I got there in the end and my bags weigh 17.5 kg, so I'm happy with that. I packed my teddy bear at the last minute :)


*     *     *


So, I just read this article, and almost immediately am back to feeling strong and excited. I really find that often these little mental tricks, or slight shifts in thought or focus can really help me.  So, now I am thinking:
- I am in control of myself, my situation, and how I feel about it. If I am unhappy, I can change that.
- I choose how I react to things.
- If it's tough, just take it one little bit at a time. Trying to tackle the thought of an entire year at once in overwhelming, just look over the next few days, one day, hours, one hour. The I can plan, focus, and deal with it.
- The quote "I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet". I have an awesome family, some people don't.
- and the last tip was "Be thankful", find something everyday to enjoy and be thankful for - and that's exactly 
why I started this blog! So, I'm on the right track :)


So, I now that I feel all excited, fist pumping, I-am-woman-hear-me-roar, I'm going to spend that day with my awesome friend Jetts (whose lovely blog inspired this one), and hopefully pick up may passport from the Korean consulate. My five things to be grateful for will follow this afternoon!


Click the picture to go to a the blog of a lady with some real strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment